Written by: Kraig Ware, VP of Operations
Greatness is something that calls out to most of us, to a certain level, everyday. To define it and or give you 5 quick steps to obtain it would simply degrade what Greatness is all about. First, let me say…
Greatness is not an accident or a destination.
Let’s look at it this way, what I would call the 3 Levels of Greatness:
The First Level of Greatness has been experienced by all of us. It is very crowded at this level with family, friends, co-workers, etc. Simply reliving greatness as we retell stories, read an article/book, watch a movie, or enjoy a TV show that has captured greatness at one point in our history.
The Second Level of Greatness has not been experienced by all of us; yet, more than likely, most of us. At this level we observe greatness first hand.
Things like hearing a life changing speech, watching an inspiring athletic performance, absorbing a mind blowing musical performance, witnessing incredible acts of heroism first-hand, or observing something that is simply miraculous. Like the First Level, it is pretty crowded here as well. Unfortunately, most of us get stuck at this level.
The Third Level of Greatness is open to anyone, just like the first two levels; yet, only a few will ever make it here. If you are really fortunate, you will do what you are already capable of doing…you will achieve greatness, not observe or hear a story of; yet, achieve or taste greatness. Greatness is simply a state of mind that you will not accept anything other than achieving your best…what you were created to do.
What happens when you achieve greatness?
- Your self-less act, display of courage, or achievement of uncharted excellence will be retold. (Level One of Greatness)
- Your self-less act, display of courage, or achievement of uncharted excellence will be observed by others. (Level Two of Greatness)
Greatness will always be observed, greatness will always be retold, & greatness will always inspire and attract others.
So why are we all inspired and/or attracted to greatness? Simple, that’s what you were created to obtain. It’s the quest we are all on; however, it’s easier just to observe and/or retell vs. to actually do. Most people just get comfortable with their surroundings, peer pressures, and typically succumb to mediocrity. Perhaps you are thinking, my “mediocrity” is pretty good. I do not know what greatness looks like for you, to be completely clear, no one else does either. If you are honest with yourself, you already know what it is that you have been created to accomplish…the greatness has always been inside you, simply waiting to be unleashed.
Here are three things that will happen when you are on the right track to greatness:
- You will be transformed prior to tasting/achieving greatness. In other words, nothing is going to change if you remain the same.
- Your current social circles of family, friends, and co-workers will become smaller. Be prepared, you might even feel like you are by yourself for a while. Have no worries, as this is a short season. Like minded, driven persons will emerge and/or someone from your original social circles will be transformed to support or join you. Simply put, your environment will change for the better.
- Most important, greatness will impact and/or inspire others in a positive way, creating a continued domino effect of inspiration all around you.
I encourage you to do one thing different today, just take one step…one step that will inspire those around you. We both know that there will be more than one step to take on your quest for greatness. But by taking just one step, you will be closer to your greatness and that will fan the flame that is already inside of you. Good luck and be true to yourself, the person you were created to be. Best of luck to you and your family in 2017!
I encourage your feedback as I focus on striving for excellence within the business world and within our personal lives. Let’s stay in touch and connect on LinkedIn. You can also follow me at twitter @SKraigWare Learn more about TYGES at www.TYGES.com, on Twitter @TYGESInt, or here on our blog.
Our mission is simple:
We’re here to make good things happen to other people.